Friday 23 March 2012

We are what we do

This is the kind of statement I (being a parent) can have fun with. Why? As a parent it means that I teach and lecture my girls all the time, even on my off days. Raising a child is a huge responsibility all though many take it for granted. We are responsible for what kind of adults our children will become and how they would function in society. Yes maybe I’m putting too much thought into it, but to me raising my children to the best of my ability is the most important thing.
It is important to me to that they know right from wrong, having good behaviour and know to treat others with respect, regardless of of their race, colour or creed. So many times I see youngsters or even adults behaving with a sense of entitlement, that the world owes them merely because they exist. I think that no child is born with that kind of mentality but somehow along the line parents do have a part in it.
We are what we do mean that the things that we spent most of our time with or what we deem important make us who we are. For example, being a student and studying hard, putting in 120% will cause me to reap the benefits and everything else that goes with it. Spending most time with bad company indulging in bad habits such as drug or alcohol abuse or just plain bad, unacceptable behavior will sooner or later rub off on you. Believe it or not but we are classified by the people we surround ourselves with or the activities that occupies us – be it positive or negative.
A child being raised with morals and values and respect for others, will most definitely go far, I'm not saying that temptation won’t come their way and that life will always be rosy, but at least they will have a firm foundation to keep them grounded as they say, "what you put in, is what you'll get out".
Picture: My own

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this!
    Very though provoking and inspirational...

    ReplyDelete