Thursday 8 November 2012

Feelings follow behaviour

Many times the way we feel when we get up in the morning determines the way our day would be. Not having a great nights rest, or burning the midnight oil can have its toll on you and would show in the day.
Very often when it comes to certain relationships, relationships at work, school or play we often find people or individuals that we click with immediately and often we find the individuals we don’t click with not just immediately but not at all.
I’ve always saw myself being quite an easy going person, I get along with people of all walks of life and very seldom find myself not “getting on” with people along my path. And if it came to that I knew how to keep my distance and also just knew that the problem can’t be with me but with the other person.
I had a colleague once who shared an office space with me, well needless to say that when she started I went in with idea of us being great colleagues as we will be sharing an office but oh boy was I wrong. This colleague and I were like oil and water – struggling to see eye to eye and often I would try and work it out and be just a bit more patient but as soon as that thought came it would go as she would then have found a better way of getting under my skin.
This feeling of I can’t handle her anymore became so strong that it showed in the way I behaved when around her. The office suddenly became too small to host the two of us and with me only seeing the negative side to her did not help me in getting on with my day. Other colleague often asked about this love-hate relationship of ours as the tension was clearly visible. Always trying to keep it professional I would laugh and make as if I have no idea what they were talking about, always thinking I’ll give her another chance. Even though I thought that I am keeping it together the feelings I had towards her showed in my behaviour.
As soon as I realised it I tried harder at least being civil to each other. To my own surprise, I invited her and partner over for dinner and made a point of getting to know the person outside work. Needless to say I had to do it long ago as the understanding between us became much better.
Images by: Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment