Thursday 8 November 2012

The elephant in the room

Confrontation was never my strong point and I doubt that it will ever be. But so many times I find myself or roped in to be the one being squeezed by the elephant in the room. For those who is not familiar with the term it means that everyone present know what they there for but prefer not to talk about the issue because its uncomfortable.
A perfect example in our family is when we had to talk to my eldest daughter about the birds and the bees, this followed by a question she had over dinner. Well we decided to chat about it afterwards also seeing that our little one was still up and about.
While doing the dishes I thought of how I would tackle this one, especially seeing that I’m a firm believer that children when reaching a certain age needs to be informed about certain things. We sat down in the living room and even though we knew what we were there for, we did not say a word. And this was simply because where do you even start?
Okay I could see from dad’s side that he simply there for mere moral support by not be saying a word. We got the message through and she was happy with the feedback and made us feel less un-easy, especially when they say, “we learn this at school” …OMW
If I think back to it now it was very funny, not so much at the time though.

Image by: Google Image

No comments:

Post a Comment